Monday, March 16, 2015

Indoor Fairy Garden

Today I share with you the indoor Fairy Garden I made for the entry way of my home.

I purchased a shallow terra cotta planter from my local nursery, filled it with top soil, arranged my furniture and initially, planted real plants in it, but quickly found out that my entry way did not provide enough light for the plants to thrive.



To the left is a photo of my first attempt. It was cute, but lacked pizzazz, it required maintenance, which I wasn't interested in that undertaking. 

So I went back to the drawing board. I removed the now dead plants and purchased silk plants, pebbles and moss from Joann's Fabrics. 


To me the original black metal arbor was lacking something. 








One of my favorite looks for the garden is wisteria hanging from an arbor, so I thought fairies might like it too. I purchased a wisteria looking faux plant, cut all of the tips off then wire wrapped them to the arbor. I started from the sides and worked my way inward. 




Next I placed the SuperMoss on top of the soil and secured it with a couple of pieces of wire approximately 2 inches long, bent in half. 

I then started placing the arbor, furniture, pebbles to create a garden path. A couple of rocks here and there. 


Next it was time for some color. I used mini picks of silk flowers from Joann's, cut off the individual stems and placed them throughout the outer edge to give it the feel of a secluded garden. I had some glass pumpkin, mushrooms and flowers head pins I made to the garden. 


I'm planning on making more in different themes, such as a beach scene with sand, seashells, etc. I've also seen Fairy furniture for camping and tea parties. I think the possibilities are endless. 


For those who enjoy making glass beads, my initial thought was to create objects to go in my fairy garden out of glass. 


For non-glass bead peeps, there are a lot of items available commercially, below is a list of items to get you started. Also, you can create your own items with twigs and rocks you find in the garden. Either way, I'd love to see what everyone else makes, please share your creations with me!



View blog post for supplies

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your contribution to Designs by TC.